Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 March 2008

SUMO !!





I suppose I could be called a little unconventional........not least as Mother of The Bride at daughter Danielle's wedding to her hubby Charlie.
For the delectation of the mainly younger guests a Sumo ring and suits were provided on the grass. It seemed that everyone was 'too cool for school' and only the little ones were playing.
That is however until I decided to have ago. Challenging one of my daughter's friends who seemed keen enough, we dutifully donned the padded suits. It was then I noted that I was at a distinct disadvantage. As I am very vertically challenged my legs did not really come far enough out of the suit and all that could be seen were my feet poking out of the bottom! Undeterred I waded or should I say waddled into the fray.......sheer grit and determination coupled with some overt aggression won the day as panting and helpless with laughter I proclaimed my victory. It was then that the grandchildren mobbed me, knocking me over and hurling themselves on top of my padded bulk. The precariousness of my situation slowly dawned as I realized to my horror that I had 'turned turtle' I was helpless and wobbling about on my back with lots of small children using me as a recreational amusement. My carefully crafted fascinator went west as I yelled for reinforcements to heave me upright and save me from the little people. Just as thoughts of Gullivers Travels filled my head with dread my two sons Karl and Daniel rescued me through tears of laughter. To my deep embarrassment I looked around to see the assembled wedding guests howling with laughter at the top of the steps.
Not content with one victory however I decided to challenge my sister princess and when we eventually stopped laughing at the ludicrous spectacle of each other.....middle aged mothers in sumo suits! we had a great battle. I eventually proclaimed myself the winner after eventually throwing her to the mat in a last superhuman push.
Now I thought I was invincible and challenged youngest son Daniel.....oh what a mistake I took a wobbling waddle at him only to bounce off like a ball on a wall. He pressed the advantage and like Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee we rolled round and around. At times I was upside down and unable to right myself and lay flailing on the mat. 'Daniel Son' was declared the winner and gallantly helped me upright. Unfortunately I was then so exhausted I couldn't get out of the suit and Hubby and eldest son Karl had to lift it off me. It was with a great sigh of relief that I hauled my disheveled self back to the reception room for a very large drink. I haven't had so much fun for ages and I plan to do it again sometime.......maybe my birthday in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments,thoughts,memories...