Search This Blog

Sunday 5 June 2011

Oh what a week!

It is now Sunday 5th June and I have not even picked up the laptop since Wednesday. The reasons for this lack of cyber communication are many but mainly twofold in the adorable guise of my two Grandchildren Grace (5) and Thomas (4). I have been up at silly o clock every day and not sitting down until my eyes no longer function and my brain is turned to mush from the constant jibber jabber of children's TV programs, games and general small people talk. I have just managed to feed and bath them and walk the dog. We have been to the beach and the lido, to Mumbles and the park. and each trip out had to be organised with military precision to avoid potential disaster. My Nanny skills have been honed over many years and I am affectionately(I hope) referred to as "Naughty Nanny" for my irreverent and often silly antics. I have particular delight in singing songs incorrectly and deliberately out of tune. The kids now sit on the sofa and pretend to be the X factor judges and buzz me off with howls of " That's terrible, your singing is rubbish and other remarks. What really creases me is when they just put their hands over their ears and plead with me to stop. It's cruel I know but it amuses me greatly.
Grace & Tom in the sand boat.


Today we had a celebration lunch for my Mother in law Betty's 80th birthday and I had managed to arrange balloons napkins,cake and even made, yes, home made, properly sewn, bunting. Just because I was outraged at the £1 + per metre that the shops wanted. I popped into Killay charity shop, bought two crisp cotton double quilt covers and made over a hundred metres for approximately £5. It did mean however that some sleep was sacrificed but hey it was worth it.
During lunch I decided to try to make the lovely Lyndsey's long, blond plait float....by attaching helium balloons to it. This soon became a focus of attention as we all tried to figure out how many balloons it would take. In the end it was over 20!
The kids loved all the fun and Betty was overjoyed at her surprise party. Danielle joined us with Erin and Ben and it was lovely to have so many of the family together. I had a real warm and gooey feeling looking around that room full of happy smiling faces and the walls ringing with laughter and music....we are blessed and I am tired but very thankful for these special times of love and deep seated contentment.
IT FLOATS!

Baby cousins Maisie and Kaylan,  enjoying the party

Happy 80th Birthday Betty

A garden cake made by 'Celebration'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments,thoughts,memories...