Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 June 2011

FAT FIGHTERS!

Gradually over the years Andy and I have become rounder and more cuddly, gone are the lean angles of the face that looked so attractive in our youth only to be replaced by an extra chin and accentuated dimples. The slim hips are now well padded 'Love handles' and we are built more for comfort than for speed. I know it is the result of my cooking over the years, we are not junk food eaters but we do revel in good food and wine. Andy is at his most content when sitting at our large family table loaded with delicious morsels from my kitchen, we all sit and eat and drink and chat and laugh with true abandon as we always have done. Sadly this has caught up with our waistlines. 
Our wedding in 1984

This was brought home to me after watching our holiday video. I had bought  a new Black & White swimsuit and we went snorkeling and diving in The Red Sea, while we were doing it I felt light and graceful as I glided through the turquoise water. The camera however does not lie no matter how you 'feel' and we laughed to see a shot of me taken from underwater..I was just like a black and white beach ball with little arms and legs stuck onto it!  We decided then, that we should do something about it to improve our health and well being. What could we do? We both knew that the mathematics were wrong..too much going in and not enough burnt off so we decided to join a weight loss class with Slimming World. Oh my! culture shock...our world is off it's axis. We entered the realm of Little Britain's 'Fat Fighters' unprepared for what was to come...out went creamy welsh butter..in came skinny margarine and spray on frying oil..WHAT!! No cream, no fat, no sugar and measured portions , I didn't know how to cook the recipes in the Slimming Bible and Andy's wallet was unprepared for the huge shopping bill for the new regime.
20+ years together!

Strangely the new food is quite delicious, the recipes easy and varied and I am not hungry..I don't know how this can be but it is. 1 week in and I lost 3 1/2lbs and Andy lost 5lbs. It's a bit of a miracle and I'm looking forward to Thursday's weighing session. Our consultant is effervescent and enthusiastic to say the least..completely, barking mad.It really is like Fat Fighters but we are committed and enjoying it. It would be kind of nice to see those slender bods back again but I am a realist and will be happy to just reduce my weight down to a normal size. We are both blessed that we have the kind of relationship that still sees the other with rose tinted specs and love each other unconditionally but we both agree we'd be happier if there was a little less of us!

1 comment:

  1. Andrew Harris-John23 June 2011 at 10:33

    Ahhh.... The turqoise water... I felt nimble and slim using my man from Atlantis underwater skills only to see my bright, white, rather larger than life belly displayed on the wide screen TV when we got home! Hmpf! Last night I caught sight of myself on an old video playing bass in a previous band. Wow! What a difference. I was definately only meant to have one chin! Fat fighters tonight - Andy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments,thoughts,memories...