Search This Blog

Thursday 7 July 2011

What to do about Gertie?

I think by now I am a familiar sight in my neck of the woods driving my gorgeous Gertie. I originally bought Gertie who is a left hand drive G reg Volkswagen Polo, to drive to Africa for a charity run with my sister Sharon. Our best laid plans were thwarted however due to civil unrest in Mauritania and it was decided that in the interests of 'elf & safetee it would be prudent to cancel it for that year. With every intention of resuming the challenge the following year I kept Gertie resplendent in  her pink stickers and diamante stick ons! That was the year Dan decided to get married and so it was postponed again. I now realise that I am not going to go to Africa in Gertie as my health is not as it should be and she is still as fab as the day I handed over £400 cash for her. She flies through MOT's and has started every morning even in the hardest winter. She has never broken down and needs no welding....astonishing! I love driving her with her 'WOWEE WIMMIN' stickers on(our team name for the rally) named by Granddaughter Kate after Tommy called Gertie Nanny's wowee car, he meant rally car but he was only 2 at the time. All the Grandchildren love Nanny's car and Erin even got to drive her last summer. She does get noticed and Andy would rather walk than drive her. On the odd occasion he has had a lift in Gertie he gets embarrassed by people laughing at him as it looks like he's in the driving seat. He opens the window to tell them it's all mine. Daniel just took her for her MOT and came back saying that he has no shame driving Gertie and he thinks she's an amazing car but as he drove past Olchfa School in slow  traffic he said it was like being bullied at school when the groups of youngsters started hootin and hollerin and splitting their sides laughing at this great lump of a bloke squished into a black and pink Polo covered in diamantes !
Gertie in original condition, i.e. prior to being 'pimped'
Sharon, Me & Gertie, 'Wowee Wimmin'
I of course find their male discomfort highly amusing. I need to decide what to do with Gertie, keep her until she starts really misbehaving or sell her on...if I keep her I think she deserves a make over that even Andy and Dan would approve of so I will talk to eldest son Karl (who knows all about these things) to see what he thinks. I think after that I will not sell her but donate her to another team who will take her to the dark continent as I first intended. Gertie has become a part of the family in some ways but, somehow it feels like she was meant to go....and so she shall but NOT YET!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments,thoughts,memories...