Search This Blog

Monday 23 May 2011

Sebastian Andrew.


Our beautiful new Grandson, Sebastian Andrew was born at 17.39 on April 27th 2011. Weighing 7lbs 4ozs.
Kaye's waters broke ot 00.30 on Tuesday morning and as not much else was happening,  she was sent home from Hillingdon Hospital. Andy and I drove up and arrived just after lunch on Tuesday. 
Kaye started to labour later that night and we stayed at home until 06.30 on Wednesday morning,  when she needed something for the pain. We got to the hospital and once the staff found out I was a Midwife, became quite defensive and difficult! 
After a couple of confrontations and differences of opinion Kaye was transferred to the labour ward at 15.50 and by now was 8cms dilated and going great guns on the gas and air; She stayed upright and mobile and soon wanted to push, she started pushing at 16.55 kneeling on the bed, Simon rubbing her back and encouraging her, Andy holding the fan on her face and me twitching, but, remaining calm, on the outside at least!! She soon realised that this position was not right for her and hopped off the bed to adopt a 'Sumo' stance at the side of the bed. In a few short pushes the baby's head was visible and with two more he was delivered into Midwife Tina's hands. I helped untangle him from his cord and Simon cut it enabling Sebastion to be popped onto the bed for Kaye to see him.....you can just imagine it...tears all round especially from Gandy, who had a grin from ear to ear for over 48hours. He had tried to discreetly leave the room but Kaye was having none of it and asked the staff to get him back...she wanted her Papa there.
In that short time I saw a side of my beautiful and talented Daughter that I didn't know she had. I can only say that she showed a grit,determination and fortitude that would not have been out of place in the gladiatorial arena. What a strong woman I had raised. I could not have been more proud of her, both as a Midwife and especially as a Mother.
My blessings in life continue and believe me I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments,thoughts,memories...