Search This Blog

Thursday 2 February 2012

A Beautiful walk in the cold sunshine to start off February

On the 1st of the month I awoke to find that the grey skies and rain had given way to a crisp cold and brilliantly bright day!
After lunch when it had warmed up a little I took little Tink all dressed up in her winter coat out for our usual walk. The ground was hard underfoot, a pleasant change from sliding in the mud! The birds were singing their little hearts out and the sky was a deep clear blue. As we left the middle field to go onto the golf links I stood for a while to look at the Snowdrops all nodding their heads in the gentle breeze on the bank....Tink was playing chase with Dai's new Jack Russell puppy aptly named 'Dut' which means little and she is really little. They get on really well and have a rare old time together.
The lovely Snowdrops
We headed out onto the links and turned left, the sun was bright and Tink seemed to be even more full of beans than usual, gamboling on the grass and running circles around me. I couldn't run though as I am still recovering from a particularly nasty Urinary Tract Infection and running really hurts. We climbed the hill and Anna and Nigel's place was looking fabulous, they really have a great view from up here.
Nige & Anna's in the sunshine


We walked on, the castle to our right with the sun streaming around it and a bit further on the water tower standing like a watchman against the blue backdrop of the February sky. It's such a landmark for us, it even gives Tower Field it's name and I'm so glad it has not been taken down....long live The Water Tower.


Walking on we met up with Marta who was walking Missy and Coco Chanel, Missy is a grumpy baggage who barks all the time but is really harmless. Coco is staying with Marta while her owners are abroad and looks like Tink's sister only slightly darker....Tink plays well with Coco and tries to include Missy but she isn't having any of it.

Tink & Coco Chanel

Missy
We walked to the castle and the views took our breath away, the water was sparkling like crystal and once again I felt that deep sense of thankfulness for the beauty of my 'back yard'.
There are some rare plants that grow around and on Pennard Castle and some of the flora is starting to come back  by early summer there will be lovely little sprigs everywhere.


My back yard!
Plants on the castle wall
We strolled home and my thoughts were rambling as my feet were walking and I got to thinking about a John Denver song I used to play that had a line in it that in my youth touched a bit of a chord with me....'serenity's a long time coming to me' and I used to identify with that during the tumultuous times of my earlier life. I now know that some things are worth waiting for and the serenity I always craved has come to me for the most part and it gives me a deep and wonderful sense of peace and calm....perhaps this is one of the benefits of growing older in a place that you love.
We got in and I had a nice cup of tea before curling up on the sofa with my book, Tink and Tink's 'Bun Bun'....he's her baby bunny and she has had him since we had her, he always goes in her bed at night and she loves him! A bit like I love her, I guess....I am truly blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments,thoughts,memories...